Thank you for joining Work Horizons. We hope you will find your membership of this community valuable in the short and longer term. To maximise your chances of success, we would like to share our tips for getting the most out of the site:
- We strongly suggest that you start with the section, finding purpose and fulfilment. It can take a lot of time and energy to find a new job or start self-employment, so it would be a real shame to go through all of that, only to find that your new job isn’t giving you what you really need or taking you where you want to go.
- Set aside time regularly to work on your career and work planning. It is all too easy for the immediate pressures of everyday life to force aside your longer-term priorities. For some people it is best to block out an hour, two evenings a week; decide what would work for you and try it. If it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped then try a different time or consider going somewhere else, such as a library or cafe.
- In an action-packed world, give yourself permission to stop and think. This is one occasion where you really should read just one or two articles at a time and then pause. If you find something that doesn’t apply to your situation, then move-on of-course. But when you watch or read something that makes you start to think, then don’t break off; keep thinking and see where it takes you.
- Get a notebook and pen. Yes, really. You can make notes electronically if you prefer, but it’s essential that you complement the resources here by recording your own progress, capturing your thoughts, noting down ideas and questions. Oh yes, and clearly committing yourself to action.
- If you are using the Work Horizons website and are not sure where to go next, click ‘Start Here’ on the main menu. This will take you back to the menu of topics so you are just one or two clicks away from all the resources.
Ready to take the next step in your career? Let’s start your journey of research, reflection and planning here:
Start by considering purpose and fulfilment